Monday, February 15, 2016

Life with a LDR


LDR, no it is not a disease. LDR is the acronym for long distance relationship(s). I was always told by close friends that I could never survive a long distance relationship. They said that I was too independent, and the miles between myself and partner would only lead to my apathy toward the relationship. However, everything changed when I met Kevin. My current boyfriend and I were acquaintances from our community college and became texting buddies during our first quarter at our current universities. We texted all day, everyday. We spoke about music, school, and mundane tasks. During Winter Break, he invited me to watch Star Wars: The Force Awakens. We immediately hit it off. We couldn't stop laughing or talking, and the next day he invited me to the Morrissey concert on New Year's Eve. Needless to say, we became a couple that weekend because our connection was impossible to ignore. 

There are great and not-so great things about being in a LDR, but if it's with someone that you are completely smitten by, the good will overcome the bad.
The good:
  • You both learn to be independent in your relationship 
  • You maintain healthy social lives
  • You never take any moment with them for granted
  • Fighting seems likes a waste of time 
  • Your communication skills really refine
  • Every outing with them seems like the perfect date
  • You test the strength of your relationship
  • You are forced to trust the other person
  • Something as simple as a phone call or snapchat photo makes your day
  • You have to think of creative technology-based activities
  • You get to explore each other's city
  • You work on patience, trust, and personal insecurities
  • There is nothing like the moment when you first see them at the airport
  • Life becomes a countdown which makes it exciting
The not-so good"
  • You don't always have a date to a special outing
  • They are physically absent from special events 
  • You can't physically comfort each other on rough days
  • Sometimes you overanalyze 
  • Airports ('nough said)
  • Life becomes a countdown which can feel draining
However, there are ways around the cons. For example, my boyfriend had a rough day and felt pretty upset. I felt so helpless being miles away from him, but I decided to surprise him with pizza. Ta-daaaa! His mood instantly lifted, c'mon, it's pizza! He was able to visit for Valentine's Day weekend, and he had flowers delivered at my door. We skype at at least twice a week and talk on the phone once a day. Hearing my phone ring and his name appear on my screen has become the best part of my day. The important piece is that there isn't anyone I'd rather date. We rather spend a weekend with each other once a month than everyday with anyone else. Despite the extra effort that an LDR requires, this has been the best relationship.
Happy weekend of love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment